Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes + more if you like it spicy!
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil + extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle in the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and a pinch of sea salt and sauté until the onions begin to soften and become translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, open the can of tomatoes and pour them into a large bowl. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and leave a few small chunks in there.
- Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to the onions and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes along with the juice to the pan, as well as the red wine, brown sugar (if using), and chopped herbs. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and reduce the heat to medium-low and maintain a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thicken, stirring occasionally.