Baked Blueberry Donuts
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup spelt flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/3 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs**
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
*I use spelt flour just because it's more nutritious. You can just use more all-purpose flour if you like.
**To make one flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons water. Mix together and let sit 15 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan with vegan butter or cooking spray. This batter will make about 12 donuts.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients (butter through vanilla) in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to gradually incorporate.
- Fold in the flax eggs and mashed bananas and mix until just incorporated, taking care to not overbeat.
- Finally, fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into the greased donut cavities.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick comes or clean.
- For the glaze: mix the powdered sugar with 1-2 tablespoons almond milk until you reach your desired consistency of an icing. Pour glaze over donuts.