- 2 medium red beets
- 2 15-ounce cans cooked chickpeas (reserve 1/2 cup aquafaba, or the liquid in the can of chickpeas)
- 2 small lemons, juiced and zested
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt + freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- To roast the beets, preheat your oven to 400° F or 200° C. Scrub and wash your beets and drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and tightly wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the beets are easily pierced with a fork. Once the beets are cool, peel them.
- Once the beets are cooled, slice them into quarters and add it to your food processor. Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, tahini, salt, pepper, and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in the olive oil as the hummus is being mixed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.