Everything in miniature size is better. Desserts, animals, hands. Just kidding. Tiny hands are creepy. I'm looking at you, man in the Oval Office. But miniature desserts are so much more fun than regular-sized desserts. Mostly because there's more of them.
So instead of making a blueberry banana bread, which I made last year, I made mini blueberry banana breads. I couldn't help myself after I unexpectedly came across a baking supply store in Manhattan. I walked in and had a miniature panic attack after seeing so many things I wanted to buy. Mini cheesecake pans, mini donut pans, mini bundt pans. Which of course made me think of the best '90s movie ever, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Fortunately, I was able to limit myself to one miniature purchase--the loaf pans. But rest assured, I'll be back for more. As soon as I can make space in my kitchen for more tiny goods.
Like most people, I love a good moist banana bread and these babies are very moist and soft. I also love using the word moist because it makes most people uncomfortable. Hope I made you just uncomfortable enough that you're still hungry for these mini loaves.
Blueberry Banana Bread
1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Sugar Glaze (optional, recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 4 mini loaf pans (or one standard 9x5 loaf pan) with parchment paper or grease and flour the pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flours through salt) in a medium bowl and mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk the softened butter using an electric mixer. Add in the sugar through the vanilla and beat just until well incorporated.
- Switch to a whisk and add the mashed bananas to the wet mixture.
- Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, whisking to combine. If the mixture gets too heavy to whisk, switch to a wooden spoon.
- Toss the blueberries in a bit of flour to prevent them from sinking. Fold the blueberries into the banana bread mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pans. Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, checking first at 15 minutes (or bake for 40-45 minutes for a standard loaf pan). The bread will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons almond milk
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- Pour sugar into a bowl. Gradually add almond milk and beat with a whisk until you achieve your desired consistency. Add more liquid for a thinner glaze.