Food Photography & Styling Tutorial
For the last year or so, I've been asked by many friends on Instagram to do a tutorial on food photography and styling! So I finally made a video tutorial (also embedded below). t would make me so happy if you checked out the video on Youtube and if you enjoy it, like, share with friends and subscribe :)
Occasionally, I post short tutorials with photography and styling tips on my Instagram stories, but this Youtube tutorial is more in depth. Plus, I share some of my food styling and photography secrets! Which are no longer secrets, because I am sharing them with you.
In this video, I don't talk too much about the fundamentals of photography, like the definition of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. BUT, I do have a four-part series on food photography for the beginner here on my blog that covers those topics and more, so be sure to check it out! Many of you have sent me messages about how my blog series has helped improve your photography, which really means the world to me, so thank you!
In the video, I talk about my camera equipment, lighting, and then I show you how to style and photograph these cranberry orange streusel muffins in three different ways and share the camera settings I use for each photo.
I really hope you enjoy the tutorial! And the muffins. Because the muffins are moist, soft and delicious af.
Happy holiday season, friends!
Cranberry Orange Streusel Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs*
- 1 large orange, zested
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 - 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- Streusel topping (recipe below)
- Orange Vanilla Icing (recipe below)
*For 1 flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon ground flax meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons warm water and let stand for 10-15 minutes to thicken)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, halved
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Vanilla Orange Icing
- 1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons plant-based milk
- Juice of 1/4 of an orange
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg) until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add the melted coconut oil, mashed banana, and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated, about 1 minute. Then add in the flax eggs and drizzle in the soy milk and orange juice slowly, whisking while you pour.
- Add 1/4 of the the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Repeat in batches. Do not overmix the batter, as it may get tough.
- Stir in the orange zest and cranberries.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the streusel topping with a fork until well combined and a bit sticky.
- Pour the muffin batter into the muffin tins, filling each cup ¾ full. Top generously with the streusel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in their tins for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack tray to cool.
- Drizzle cooled muffins with vanilla orange icing.