You may have noticed that I'm a little obsessed with beets. I make beet smoothie bowls, beet hummus, beet noodles, beet salads, and now beet soup. I've already waxed poetic about the nutritional benefits of beets here, so I'll keep this short. If you're a new vegetarian or vegan, it can be a bit challenging to come up with veg meals that are satiating. I should rephrase that to say it can be challenging to come up with healthy veg meals. You could always eat pasta and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on the reg and call it a day.
Luckily for me (and you), this roasted beetroot and sweet potato soup hits the sweet spot. The combination of the root vegetables and coconut milk make this soup hearty yet luxurious, and the flavors lend themselves to easy pairing with a variety of toppings.
For an Indian flair, I topped my soup with coconut yogurt, cilantro, chili peppers, and fennel seeds. For an Asian twist, I added sauteed shiitake mushrooms, sesame seeds, scallions, and sesame oil. And for a Mediterranean vibe, I swirled in tahini, sesame seeds, parsley, and za'atar oil. This was my favorite combination.
The versatility and heartiness aren't even my favorite thing about this soup. The bright pink color is what really turns me on. It's like an explosion of watercolors in my mouth. Does that sound appetizing? Maybe not. But I guarantee you'll love it! Its visual appeal make it a great option for a dinner party first course. Just make sure your dinner guests don't wear white. Seriously, I now have three items of clothing with beet stains on them.
Roasted Beetroot and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 lbs. of red beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 lbs. of sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive oil for roasting sweet potatoes + 2 tablespoons of olive oil for cooking vegetables
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 32 oz. of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of freshly minced ginger
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 scant teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14 oz can of coconut milk
- Toppings: see description above for the various toppings I used.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish or tray. Roast the beets in the oven for approximately 1 hour or until beets are fork tender. Once cooked, remove the beets from the foil and let cool until you can handle them. Chop the beets roughly into chunks. No need to be precise - it all gets pureed
- When the beets begin to roast, peel the sweet potatoes and chop roughly into chunks. Drizzle with enough oil and season with salt pepper. Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway.
- While the beets are cooling, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add diced onions and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- To the pot, add the cooked beets and sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, ginger, lime juice, spices, and bay leaf. Stir well and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a high speed blender or use an immersion blender to purée until the soup is smooth but retains some chunkiness.
- Return the soup to Dutch oven. Add the coconut milk and stir thoroughly to incorporate.
- Serve with desired toppings.