When I think of bundt cake, I inevitably think of 90s classic movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. At the time, I knew what a bundt cake was, but I kind of thought, Mama Portokalos is right! This is just a cake with a hole in the middle. Give me back the hole!
But then I made a bundt cake and I was like hey, the WASP parents from the movie weren't so bad after all - bundt cake can be really damn delicious! After all, it’s basically one huge donut in cake form.
This bundt cake is an apple cinnamon walnut bundt cake, which is pretty delicious flavor combo, if I don’t say so myself. The warming spices make it perfect for the cold weather and the festive decorations make it perfect for your holiday table, obviously.
I love this recipe because it's really quite simple! All you need to do is mix up a bunch of ingredients, give it a mix, and bake away! It takes an hour or so to bake, so draw yourself a bubble bath, turn up those Michael Bublé Christmas jams, and treat yourself to some holiday relaxation while this baby bakes.
What are you baking for the holidays? I hope you give this giant donut cake a try!
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake
The easiest cake you'll ever make that'll look fancy as hell. Made with simple ingredients you can readily find in your pantry and elegantly decorated with a festive flair, this cake will please both you and your guests alike. It's soft and moist yet light and airy, just like cake should be. This cake is not too sweet, so the sugar glaze is the perfect complement (though not necessary if you're limiting your sugars this holiday season).
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups plant-based milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup neutral-flavored oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups
- Vegan Icing
- 1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Sugared cranberries,
- Fresh rosemary stalks
- Fresh mint leaves
- Organic powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and mix well.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in the brown sugar mixture and stir together to mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and then add the plant-based milk, melted vegan butter, oil, maple syrup, apple juice, apple sauce, vanilla and sugar.
- Using an electric mixer on slow speed, combine the dry and wet ingredients until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch bundt cake pan with vegan butter or oil.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until the cake is firm and springs back when touched.
- Let the cake rest until it is cool enough to touch. Then, invert it onto a cooling rack.
- To make the vegan icing: Pour the powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Gradually add the almond milk and orange juice and beat with a whisk until you achieve your desired consistency. Add more liquid for a thinner glaze. Decorate as desired.