Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Makes approximately 4 dozen small cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 flax egg*
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Organic granulated sugar for dipping
*Mix 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons water, stir, and let sit 15 minutes to thicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour through baking powder).
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the vegan butter until light and fluffy. Add the flax egg, molasses, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Working in batches, gradually beat the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Switch to a wooden spoon if the mixing gets too tough.
- Using a tablespoon, roll dough into small discs. Dip each disc into a sugar and place on baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.