Double Chocolate Cookies
Makes 32 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons of brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Garnish: extra dark chocolate chips, melted; coconut whipped topping or coconut whipped cream; organic candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, and cocoa powder. Stir well with a wooden spoon or whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: flax eggs, vegan butter, granulated sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cashew butter, coffee, and vanilla. Use an electric mixer to beat the ingredients until throughly combined.
- Pour 1/4 of the dry mixture into the wet mixture, beating on low speed to incorporate. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- For large cookies, roll two tablespoons of cookie dough into balls. For small cookies, roll one tablespoon of cookie dough into balls. Flatten the rolled cookie dough ball with your palm and place on baking sheets, spacing 2-3 inches apart for large cookies and 1-2 inches apart for small cookies.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes for large cookies and 9-10 minutes for small cookies. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- For decorations, dip one half of each cookie in melted dark chocolate (using extra chocolate chips) and/or coconut whipped cream. Sprinkle crushed organic candy canes onto frosting. Set in freezer to harden for 10 minutes.