Double Stuffed Cheesy Pasta
- 24 jumbo shell macaroni
- 2 cups macaroni shells
- 1 jar of marinara sauce of choice
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese sauce (recipe below)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook the jumbo shells according to the pasta package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water, draining well.
- In the same pot, cook the macaroni shells according to the pasta package directions directions and drain.
- Mix the drained macaroni shells with the vegan cheese sauce to combine.
- Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish. You can also use a cast iron skillet, but you will need more than one.
- Using a spoon, stuff the cheesy macaroni into the drained jumbo shells.
- Place the stuffed shells on top of the marinara sauce in the baking dish. Top with as much remaining marinara sauce as you want.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until heated through. Garnish with with fresh basil.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup red potatoes, steamed & then cubed
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, steamed & then cubed
- 3 tablespoons neutral tasting oil + extra as needed (I used sunflower oil)
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water + extra as needed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 heaping tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder)
- Soak cashew for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add extra water to thin sauce out as needed or extra oil to make sauce creamier as needed. Taste for salt and add additional salt as needed.
- Heat the finished sauce in saucepan over medium-high heat until the sauce gets thicker and creamy. Add water as needed to thin out.