Hearty Lentil & Quinoa Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small jalapeños, diced (keep seeds for heat)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each allspice powder and cayenne pepper
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 15 ounce can each of black beans and pinto beans drained
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Garnishes: additional cilantro, diced red onions, sliced green onions, sliced avocado, hot sauce, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper. Season with salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and jalapeños, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the spices, stirring constantly for 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant and the spices have coated the vegetables.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the lentils. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the black beans, pinto beans and quinoa. Bring to a gentle boil. Then, reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes. Taste for seasonings.
- Once off heat, stir in the apple cider vinegar and cilantro.
- Add additional garnishes, if desired.