Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup baby red potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons neutral tasting oil + extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water + extra as needed
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon white or yellow miso paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch, arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Place butternut squash and peeled red potatoes in a steamer basket on the stove and steam until tender, about 15 minutes. You can also steam them in a steamer basket in the Instant Pot, and it will take only 5 minutes.
- Combine the steamed squash and potatoes in a food processor along with the other ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add extra water to thin sauce as needed and/or extra oil to make the sauce creamier as needed. Taste for seasonings and add additional salt as needed.
- Heat the cheese sauce on the stove over medium-high heat until it gets thicker and creamy, and is hot. Add water as needed to thin.
Instant Pot Burrito Bowl Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (can substitute another cooked grain of choice)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 tsp each chili powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika
- 3 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP agave nectar
- 1/2 cup salsa + more for serving
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Vegan Cheese Sauce (or shredded vegan cheese)
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a bowl, mix together the brown rice, garlic, beans, corn, spices, nutritional yeast, agave, salsa, salt and pepper.
- Cut off the top parts of the peppers and remove the membranes & seeds. Fill each pepper with the rice filling.
- Pour ½ cup of water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place the stuffed peppers in a steamer basket and place inside the inner pot.
- Lock the lid and select the Manual setting at high pressure and reduce the cook time to 7 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, perform a quick pressure release by switching the Pressure Release knob from Sealing to Venting.
- Open the lid and top with Vegan Cheese Sauce or shredded vegan cheese of choice. Close the lid for 2 minutes to heat up the cheese. Or, transfer the cheese-topped peppers to an ovenproof dish and place under your oven's broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle on some lime juice and cilantro and serve with salsa.