- 3 bagels of choice (avoid cheddar or egg bagels if vegan)
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each of dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, cooked
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup organic corn (canned, drained)
- 3/4 cup of vegan cheese sauce (recipe below)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice bagels and lightly toast.
- Stir dried herbs into marinara sauce.
- Spread herbed marinara sauce onto toasted bagels.
- Top bagels with cooked mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and corn.
- Drizzle on vegan cheese sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until bagels are browned and toppings are warm.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup red potatoes, steamed & then cubed
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, steamed & then cubed
- 3 tablespoons neutral tasting oil + extra as needed (I used sunflower oil)
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water + extra as needed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 heaping tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder)
- Soak cashew for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add extra water to thin sauce out as needed or extra oil to make sauce creamier as needed. Taste for salt and add additional salt as needed.
- Heat the finished sauce in saucepan over medium-high heat until the sauce gets thicker and creamy. Add water as needed to thin out.