Butternut Squash Quiche
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 flax egg*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
*Mix 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 15 minutes until thickened up.
- 1 14-ounce block of firm tofu
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small butternut squash, cooked and diced
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup basil, chiffonaded + extra leaves for topping
- 1-2 cups spinach, chopped
- Lightly grease a 9- or 10-inch tart pan with olive oil. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grind the almonds, sunflower seeds, and buckwheat groats in a food processor until they've turned into a flour. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl, add the arrowroot powder, flax egg, olive oil, water, spices, and salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly with a spoon until well combined and you have a dough that sticks together when pressed with your fingers.
- Pour the crust mixture into the tart pan. Use a flat-bottomed glass or your hands to evenly press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake the crust in the oven for 12-14 minutes until it is set and firm to touch. Let cool slightly before filling.
- For the filling, press the tofu: place the tofu block on several layers of paper towels on a plate or cutting board. Top the tofu with more paper towels and place a heavy book on top of it to press the water out. Leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- For the filling, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned 5-7 minutes. Add the cubed honeynut squash, basil, and spinach. Sauté a few minutes until the greens have wilted.
- While this mixture is cooking, add the pressed tofu, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and seasonings to a food processor. Blend until creamy and well combined. Add tofu mixture to veggie mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour filling mixture into baked tart crust. Spread evenly. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Bake the quiche in the oven for 30-35 minutes until filling is set and lightly browned. Cool on wire rack before cutting.
- Top with fresh basil leaves.