Makes 8 rolls
- 8 lasagna noodles (gluten-free optional), cooked according to package directions
- Cashew cheese (recipe below)
- 4 ounces of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 ounces of eggplant, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- Nutritional yeast, for topping
- Fresh basil and/or parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare the veggies. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add a generous glug of olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add mushrooms, eggplant, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-8 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook lasagna noodles until al dente. Drain noodles. Transfer noodles to a baking tray in a single layer.
- Grease a square baking dish with olive oil. Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom of the pan.
- Working with one noodle at a time, spread some cashew cheese and then top with cooked vegetable mixture. Starting at one end of the noodle, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down into the marinara sauce-lined pan. Repeat with the rest of the noodles.
- Top the rollups with 1 cup of marinara sauce.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, top with desired amount of nutritional yeast, and place under broil for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Let lasagna rolls cool before serving. Serve with additional marinara sauce and fresh basil and/or parsley.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend under thoroughly blended and you achieve a thick and creamy texture.