Makes 12-16 brownies
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup cashew butter or almond butter
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten-free flour)
- 8 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 4 tablespoons vegan Earth Balance butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 organic candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond butter through maple syrup until smooth and shiny.
- Add the cocoa powder in 1/4 cup increments, whisking until shiny and smooth. Add in the vanilla and salt. Stir a few times to gently incorporate.
- Add the flax eggs and whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, 2 tablespoons at a time. As it gets harder to whisk, switch to folding in the flour with a rubber spatula.
- Pour brownie batter into pan.
- Prepare peppermint chocolate: over a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate with the vegan butter. Once melted, add in peppermint extract.
- Dollop the peppermint chocolate mixture on top of the brownie batter and swirl with a knife.
- Bake brownies for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center produces a few moist crumbs.