Creamy Cheesy Vegetable Casserole
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- One medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
Creamy, Cheesy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour (can use regular flour for non-gluten-free version)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper
- 14 ounces organic extra firm or firm tofu
- 1 large lemon
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons of hummus
- 1 cup almond meal
- Start by cooking the vegetable mixture. Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon of thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Continue cooking for 10-15 more minutes until the onions are caramelized and browned.
- Add the mushrooms, cauliflower, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to the pan and season with salt & pepper. Continue cooking over low, covered, for 15 minutes until softened. Remove from heat.
- While the vegetables are cooking, start on the creamy, cheesy sauce. Press the tofu for 10-15 minutes. Pour the almond milk and vegetable broth into a measuring cup. Zest half of the lemon and juice the entire lemon.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and chili pepper. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Drizzle in the almond milk-vegetable broth mixture, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Whisk for 1-2 more minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and transfer to a food processor. Add the nutritional yeast, vegan Parmesan cheese, and 3/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper. Blend together until you have a creamy sauce.
- To the food processor, add the tofu (crumble in chunks), lemon zest, lemon juice, tahini, and hummus. Blend until puréed and throughly combined. Taste for seasonings. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and fold in the almond meal with a spatula.
- Pour the creamy cheese sauce into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square pan. Top with the vegetable mixture. Bake the casserole until golden brown, for approximately 30 minutes.