Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo-Friendly
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes of choice, sliced in half
- 1 12 ounce jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 48 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes: dried chickpeas, parsley, extra virgin olive oil, and cashew sour cream
- Heat a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Ad the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until it starts to become translucent. Add the carrot and a generous pinch of salt and cook 5-7 minutes until veggies are softened.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, roasted peppers, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have cooked down a bit and smell fragrant, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and discard thyme sprigs.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and purée. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
- Top soup with desired garnishes.