Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 3 tbsp neutral tasting oil + extra as needed
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water + extra as needed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon white miso
- 1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch, arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Soak cashew for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place butternut squash and peeled red potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until tender. Once cool, cut into cubes.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add extra water to thin sauce as needed and extra oil to make sauce creamier as needed. Taste for salt and add additional salt as needed.
- Heat on stove over medium-high heat until it gets thicker and creamy, and is hot. Add water as needed to thin.