Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo
- 2 1/2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 of a lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the basil, walnuts, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast in a food processor. Blend until you have a paste.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, scraping down the sides as you go, until you have a thick consistency. Taste for salt and acidity, adding more salt and lemon juice if needed.
- If you have leftover pesto, store it in a glass jar with a thin layer of olive oil on top and plastic wrap directly on top of this, pressing any air bubbles out.